Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Kirsten's New Dress




My insomnia was in full swing again last night so I decided to stitch up another new dress for Kirsten to surprise Abby with this morning. Once again, taking inspiration from a painting by Carl Larsson, but this time in soft pinks and blues with a pretty olive green velvet ribbon sash. I've had this little piece of ribbon in my stash for ages. It's actually a piece from my grandma's attic that I discovered years and years ago while she and I were up there poking around looking for treasures. Finally, the perfect use for this little piece of ribbon that I have been holding onto forever. I also used a vintage hankie for her head scarf. Can you tell that I am having a blast making up all these miniatures? I've received a lot, and I do mean A LOT of emails from so many of you asking if I am planning on coming out with doll clothing patterns. Well, I'm not sure yet. So many other designers already have doll clothing patterns and I'm not sure it would be a worth while investment of time or not. I still need to think about it a bit longer, but in the meantime I will continue to create new clothes for Kirsten. This young lady is going to have quite the wardrobe! Who says that life on the prairie has to be so hum-drum? Abby and I have been having so much fun with her unit study on Pioneer life. We have begun working on a braided rug for Kirsten to put under her table. I have a whole new appreciation for the amazing amount of tedious jobs that the women had back then. Hand stitching a rug, even for a doll is very time consuming. The other day Abby and I made homemade butter and her comment was "This takes FOREVER!!!" as she sat there on the floor shaking the cream in a jar. Today we are continuing our journey by reading more about Kirsten's life and perhaps we might do a little log cabin building and baking as well. Off to do some school. Have a great day!

Dawn



Just a few pics of Abby building her log cabin. It's a work in progress... We borrowed this amazing set of blocks from a friend. It's a highly advanced set of "Lincoln Logs" that was made in Germany by one of our favorite toy companies...Haba. Needless to say there was a bit of a learning curve and it took us quite a while to figure out how to work with this set as there were no instructions with it. But we were having a lot of fun with it and that's what counts. We'll see if it looks like a cabin in the end.

1 comment:

Sona said...

Haba toys are so good! I visited their stall at Frankfurt and was amazed by the variety of toys... and all so well-made.

Your doll clothes are getting more darling!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin