"The destiny of nations lies far more in the hands of women, the mothers, than in the possessors of power, or those of innovators who for the most part do not understand themselves. We must cultivate women, who are the educators of the human race, else the new generation cannot accomplish its task."

~ Friedrich Froebel

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Kirsten's New Dress




My insomnia was in full swing again last night so I decided to stitch up another new dress for Kirsten to surprise Abby with this morning. Once again, taking inspiration from a painting by Carl Larsson, but this time in soft pinks and blues with a pretty olive green velvet ribbon sash. I've had this little piece of ribbon in my stash for ages. It's actually a piece from my grandma's attic that I discovered years and years ago while she and I were up there poking around looking for treasures. Finally, the perfect use for this little piece of ribbon that I have been holding onto forever. I also used a vintage hankie for her head scarf. Can you tell that I am having a blast making up all these miniatures? I've received a lot, and I do mean A LOT of emails from so many of you asking if I am planning on coming out with doll clothing patterns. Well, I'm not sure yet. So many other designers already have doll clothing patterns and I'm not sure it would be a worth while investment of time or not. I still need to think about it a bit longer, but in the meantime I will continue to create new clothes for Kirsten. This young lady is going to have quite the wardrobe! Who says that life on the prairie has to be so hum-drum? Abby and I have been having so much fun with her unit study on Pioneer life. We have begun working on a braided rug for Kirsten to put under her table. I have a whole new appreciation for the amazing amount of tedious jobs that the women had back then. Hand stitching a rug, even for a doll is very time consuming. The other day Abby and I made homemade butter and her comment was "This takes FOREVER!!!" as she sat there on the floor shaking the cream in a jar. Today we are continuing our journey by reading more about Kirsten's life and perhaps we might do a little log cabin building and baking as well. Off to do some school. Have a great day!

Dawn



Just a few pics of Abby building her log cabin. It's a work in progress... We borrowed this amazing set of blocks from a friend. It's a highly advanced set of "Lincoln Logs" that was made in Germany by one of our favorite toy companies...Haba. Needless to say there was a bit of a learning curve and it took us quite a while to figure out how to work with this set as there were no instructions with it. But we were having a lot of fun with it and that's what counts. We'll see if it looks like a cabin in the end.

1 comment:

Sona said...

Haba toys are so good! I visited their stall at Frankfurt and was amazed by the variety of toys... and all so well-made.

Your doll clothes are getting more darling!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin